Yes, you can go back to your childhood home...

Growing up I had a memorable childhood, and a lot of it had to do with our house that we lived in. we lived in the house for 25 years before it was time to sell, and to say I was upset when we left our house wouldn't be a lie. I hated moving and although it was done willingly, I still hated to do it. 

For years after we moved, I would occasionally drive by the old house, I would slow down and stare at the windows, recalling memories each time I did it. I always hoped that someone would see me from the house and maybe ask what I was doing. just like I always thought about just knocking on the door and just telling the owners that I used to live there and that I would love to be able to walk through it just one more time for a little self-satisfaction. but I never stopped and would always just keep driving by.  years later I had no idea, but I was going to get a chance to do just what I had been wanting to do.

Fast forward about 30 years later and I'm just hanging out at work, and someone texts me a link with the words "isn't this your old house"?  I clicked the link, and it was a link to a realtor listing for my childhood home! I frantically searched for more pictures but apparently it had just got listed and more pictures were to follow.  about 3 days later I was at home and decided to check the site and was excited to find some pictures had been posted. the house had definitely been updated but none the less it was most definitely exciting to see. I also noticed that there was going to be an open house that coming weekend, I knew I had to go. 


I took my older sister with me, and when I pulled up in front of the house, it was so different this time just knowing that I was about to walk through the door once again.   I stepped through the front door, and the memories started flooding back. what made the experience so much better was the fact that the house looked exactly like it did (apart from a little remodeling) when I did the final walkthrough 30+ years ago. I noticed the floors and was tickled to find out that they were the original floors and hadn't been retouched or changed. 



I walked slowly through the house, taking in all of the rooms, angles and stopping to think about this time and that time. the back yard looked a little different and several other parts of the house did as well, but regardless of whatever changes had been made, I still felt like I was home again. 


I talked to the realtor a little before we left the house, she loved the fact that we were prior owners of the house. I also found out that the people who bought it from us 30 years ago, were the same people that were currently selling the house. knowing that the people who bought the house from us, loved it enough to stay as long as we did tells me that it brought them a great deal of memories. the house was special to me and my family, we were the first family to ever live in it, so our family set the basics for the memories there. 

as I walked out of the house to leave, a sense of closure fell over me. I guess it was from knowing that the house had been taken care of since we left it, and it continued to help generate memories. it may be just a house to most people, but I grew up there, and it was there that I lived 25 years of my life. 



Comments